Baked Potato Eggs
Spinach is more likely to be eaten by young ones when it’s part of a dish they like, such as baked potatoes. May add hot sauce for a bit more kick.
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (Southern-style, about 12 oz.)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 teaspoons chives, sliced
- 4 eggs
Bean And Barley Soup
This is an especially nutritious soup; barley adds another source of soluble fiber. This recipe quick-soaks the beans, but you can soak the beans overnight, if you wish. Pureeing some of the beans adds extra body to the soup.
- 1 cup dried pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 9 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅓ cup uncooked pearl barley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Chop red onion. Chop parsley.
- Finely chop celery and carrot.
- Chop basil.
- Grate Parmesan cheese.
- Drain beans. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, parsley, celery, carrot, and basil; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beans, 9 cups water, vegetable broth, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Place ¾ cup beans and ¾ cup cooking liquid in a blender; process until smooth. Return pureed bean mixture to pan. Stir in barley, salt, pepper, and hot sauce; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until barley is done. Ladle soup into individual bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
Broccoli, Cheese And Rice Casserole
This easy to assemble casserole is good but healthy comfort food, and gets your kids eating broccoli, too.
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 4 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained (10-ounce)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, reduced-fat, reduced-sodium, undiluted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop ½ cup onion.
- Cube 4 ounces cheese.
- Thaw and drain 2 packages chopped broccoli.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and spoon into a 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Chicken And Vegetable Saute With Lemon Parmesan Rice
The rice cooks while the chicken, tomatoes, and green beans simmer on the stove, and you have a complete meal.
- 1-1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 skinless bone-in chicken breast halves, about 10 oz.
- ground pepper
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups grape tomatoes
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- ¾ cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- Prepare Ingredients
- Remove skin from 4 chicken breasts.
- Thinly slice 4 cloves garlic.
- Wash grape tomatoes.
- Trim 4 ounces green beans and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Chop 4 tablespoons fresh mint.
- Grate ¾ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Grate zest from lemon to equal about 3 teaspoons zest.
- Prepare the rice
- In a saucepan, heat ½ tablespoon olive oil over low heat. Add 1 cup long-grain white rice; cook, stirring occasionally, until grains start to color, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1-3/4 cup water and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in ¾ cup Parmesan cheese and 3 teaspoons lemon zest.
- Cook the Chicken:
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in 4 tablespoons flour; shake off any excess.
- Place in skillet, and cook until lightly browned on one side, about 3 minutes.
- Turn chicken breasts, and add garlic, 4 cups tomatoes, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover, and cook 12 minutes.
- Add trimmed beans and 4 tablespoons mint; cover, and cook until beans are crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, and spoon tomato mixture on top.